Thursday, June 21, 2012

30 Days of Film: Days 21, 22.




21. Favorite action movie

Yeah, Salman looks tired and those less bulky Southie youngsters can dance him under the table. Even so, I think as a remake, Wanted just works superbly well with balancing intrigue, action, romance and all the rest of it, and it's one of those absolute gems that never fail to entertain me, no matter how many times I find myself rewatching the film.

It has a charm and the great cast (Ayesha Takia is so good in this and enough can't be said about Prakash Raaj's Prakash Bad role!) under Prabhudeva's competent direction just heightens the whole thing.




22. Favorite movie from your least favorite actor


(Originally "favorite documentary" - feel free to change if you like.)

Try as I might, I don't like Priyanka Chopra. My dislike for her has never had anything to do with the rumours I hear about here these days - it's more a lukewarm feeling about performances that moved into active dislike when I saw how she was in a lot of films, and supposedly very appreciated for her acting and I just didn't see it at all. If anything, I found her grating on-screen. I thought Fashion was an okay-made film that sent a bunch of horrible messages, and all of her other performances ranged from inoffensive to just model-acting. She wasn't painful to watch or anything, but she was just so overrated I began to get annoyed.  At least Kareena had to put in some really solid, good performances to truly become A-list.

But I can honestly say I love her character and performance in Kaminey. If anything, this was the National Award-worthy performance, not Fashion; well-written role about a young woman who made her own choices and stuck by them, hell or high water, and who seemed like a very grounded, real character the whole time.

No comments: